California HDI Resources
The California Health Disadvantage Index is a composite index of community disadvantage. It builds on established methodologies combining different domains of disadvantage into a single ‘overall score’ which can be used to target interventions and resources. NEW! Download our HDI Overview Fact Sheet [PDF] for quick reference.
Below are links to resources of best practices for composite indices of disadvantage.
- Townsend Index (UK)
- UK Indexes of Multiple Deprivation (UK)
- The Australian Index of Relative Advantage and Disadvantage (Australia)
- UC Davis Regional Opportunity Index (USA)
- US Opportunity Index (USA)
- Kirwan Institute Opportunity Mapping Project (USA)
- Child Opportunity Maps (USA)
- Area Disadvantage Index (USA)
- Healthy Communities Index (USA)
More information on how these indices have informed the California Health Disadvantage Index can be found in the HDI 1.1. Report.
For more information about how the California Health Disadvantage Index differs from CalEnviroScreen, please review see the following link.